Journal prompts for self love are a powerful tool when you are on a self-awareness journey and learning to embrace all of yourself. . So why journal prompts and not just free write?
You can definitely free write, but self-love journal prompts are focused on self-acceptance, forgiveness, self-compassion, boosting your self-esteem and self worth, and thus finally arriving at self love.
While writing about you and digging through all the depths you hold, looking behind all the shadows that haunt you, you will detangle the limiting beliefs that hold you back or make you feel stuck.
Journal prompts for self-love hold the light and shine that light behind those shadows, that keep you small and afraid.
They peel away the layers you have built through the years and through various experiences so you see where you built walls to protect yourself, where you failed yourself, where you need change, lessons you learned, and that through it all, you are still an amazing person and lovely just as you are.
Self-love journal prompts help you shed the weight, shed the guilt, and love yourself through the imperfections, and mistakes while appreciating where you shine and celebrating your uniqueness, gifts, and talents.
These self-love journal prompts tell you that, yes, you are enough and worthy just as you are.
So, let’s talk about self-love for a sec so we can be on the same page so to speak.
What is self-love?
Self-love is choosing yourself first. It is looking in the mirror and loving who you see looking back at you. It looking at your fault and accepting all of yourself.
Self-love is knowing that your mistakes are not who you are. And most important is learning from those mistakes and doing better, moving on, and looking to the future.
When you love yourself you learn that you can’t pour from an empty cup. So you care for your mental health. You ditch toxic relationships. You learn to say no, and you do what aligns with your soul.
Self-love is authenticity. When you show up as yourself without comparison, shame or camouflage, then you have learned to love yourself.
When you are practicing self-love you also assess you’re life and evaluate areas you need to improve.
Acceptance that you are a work in progress but still loving yourself can be challenging. But people do it every day. You can too.
How to practice self-love
- Prioritize yourself in daily self-care
- Stop worrying too much about what people think of you
- Avoid comparing yourself to others
- Leave toxic relationships
- Say no
- Pay attention to your instincts
- Be real. Be authentic
- Hash imposter syndrome-or for what you want
- Be your own advocate
- Don’t look to others to complete you. Do the work on yourself so you are already complete and you will be okay whether others come into your life, stay or not.
- Be kind to yourself. Avoid self-denigration.
How to Practice Self-Love: 24 Selflove Tips Every Woman needs
How to journal for self love
The best way to journal for self-love is by trying to practice daily journaling. Missing a day or two here and there is okay but do not go too long. Select a quiet time of the day to sit down without distractions for your journaling practice.
Quiet your thoughts and let these prompts guide you into communion with your true self.
You can journal at the end of the day before bedtime or early in the morning as part of your morning routine.
When you are journaling for self love try to let your thoughts flow. Write whatever comes to mind without being critical or judging. In this way you uncover your truth and who you really are.
And that’s why journaling is such a powerful tool for personal growth, self-discovery, and self love.
Benefits of self-love journaling
- Journaling for self-love helps you:
- Accept yourself and boost your self-esteem
- Improves your mental health
- Overcomes negative thoughts and limiting beliefs
- Helps you go for your highest dreams and aspirations thereby living fully.
- Helps you see that mistakes do not define you
Journal prompts for self-love
1. What do you wish you had more of right now?
2. What about yourself do you accept and fully embrace? Or what areas of your life or about you do accept?
3. What do you feel are your unique qualities? Write 3 qualities that make you unique.
4. Write about a time you were so proud of yourself
5. When do you feel most at peace?
6 In what way do you feel stuck in life?
7. What limiting beliefs do you have? What do you tell yourself about dreams you have yet are not pursuing?
8. What motivates you?
9 What are you most proud of?
10. When do you feel most alive?
11 write 3 things you would like to change in your life
12. What is the first small step you can take today to show yourself self love?
13. I am worthy of love because…
14. Outline for yourself a positive nurturing night-time routine.
15. What is the one habit you can start today as the action of self-love?
16. What are you passionate about? Write 3 things you are most passionate about.
17. What is one big challenge you have overcome?
18. What comes easy to you- a skill you have that just comes easy to you?
19. What past mistakes do you need to forgive yourself for?
20. When you look in the mirror what parts of you do find it hard to love? How can you start loving those parts of you?
21. What 3 actions can you start taking today to better your life?
22. In what way do you compare yourself to others and feel lacking? How can you stop comparing and accepting who you are and where you are in life right now?
23. write 3 compliments you have received that made you feel great about yourself.
24. Write about a time you helped a friend, neighbor, or even a stranger.
25. Where do you need to set more or better boundaries in your life?
Self love journal prompts
26. What does your dream life look like? What is the one action you can take toward making it a reality?
27. What negative thoughts do you hold about yourself? Write down the opposite of those thoughts about yourself.
28. How would your best friend describe you?
29. Who inspires you? Why?
30. How are your relationships right now? Are you holding onto a relationship that is holding you back? What do you need to let it go?
31. How do you want your life to have changed five years from now?
32. When are you most happy?
33. What do you need to start saying no to, and say more yes to?
34. Write a letter of recommendation for yourself
35. Write 5 self-love affirmations
36. What do you wish other people would say to you or about you? Now say/write that about yourself.
37. Write a gratitude letter to your body
38. How do you experience love?
39. How can you make a difference in the world? What causes would you like to support? Or how can you improve the world?
40. When is the last time you stepped out of your comfort zone? What did you do and how did it feel?
41. What brings on imposter syndrome to you? How can you overcome this and go after your big dreams?
42. How are you hurting yourself and in what areas of your life? What steps can you take to stop?
43. Write what you love most about yourself and why
44. Write 5 things you are grateful for
45. When do you feel most authentic, like your true self? Do act in ways contrary to who you are? When and why?
46. When do you feel most confident?
47. What and who makes you unhappy? How can you distance yourself from those people, or stop activities that make you unhappy?
48. Write down 3 self-love habits you would like to start and write down when you will start ( the sooner like today, the better).
49. Who is your support system? Do you have true friends? If not what actions can you take today to form true friendships and a strong support system?
50. Write down 10 things you will start doing to show yourself self-love and self-appreciation.
51 Write down 10 positive adjectives that describe you
Self love journal Prompts
I hope these self-love journal prompts help you and guide you on your self-love journey.
And I hope that these journal prompts help you to start saying more yes to yourself, looking in the mirror, and loving even those bits of yourself that you otherwise wouldnt love.
And most importantly as you walk on the journey toward self-love, my hope is that you forgive your past mistakes, accept the lessons and do and be better.
Through these prompts, I hope you will find your voice, silence your inner critic and go after your most authentic true self, and your wildest most wondrous dreams.
By journaling for self-love, I hope you finally find peace, joy, and an exuberant celebration of the amazing person you are.
Want more prompts? Also read:
Journal Prompts for mental health
Journal prompts for personal growth
Journal prompts for anxiety
And now that you are ready to journal toward self-love you may need a notebook. Here are some recommendations:
Love this SuperBowell Floral Journal
Best Affirmations for Anxiety