Best Self-care Sunday ideas to recharge your life
Are you looking for some relaxing self care Sunday ideas to recharge your week? Then this post is for you!
Spending time on Sunday practicing self-care is a great way to reward yourself for all the hard work you have done throughout the week.
In this post, I have carefully curated a list of self-care ideas for your Sunday to help you unwind, recharge, and prioritize your well-being
Taking time on this traditional day of rest to give to your soul, renew your spirit, and rest your mind is a sweet way to recharge your batteries so you feel renewed and ready to tackle the next week.
And as it has been said many a time, self-care is not selfish. It is necessary for balance, health, and happiness.
Self-care Sunday offers the perfect opportunity to step away from the hustle and bustle of daily life and focus on nurturing yourself.
Whether you’re looking for soothing rituals, wellness practices, or indulgent treats, I have an array of suggestions to help you create a self-care Sunday routine that nourishes your mind, body, and soul.
So, grab your favorite blanket, light a scented candle, and get ready to discover the most rejuvenating and fulfilling self-care activities to make your Sundays truly exceptional.
Okay then, let’s dive right in and look at these 55 best self-care Sunday ideas to keep you feeling balanced in mind body, and spirit.
Why you should prioritize self-care
We live in a world where hard work is praised and prioritized a lot sometimes at the expense of health, especially mental health.
In our world we sometimes work almost all hours, some working long hours after the day’s work is supposed to be done.
But all work without rest and time for self-care can lead to both mental and physical exhaustion or burnout.
Lack of self-care gradually leads to negative outcomes such as the following:
- Mental exhaustion and burnout
- Illness due to neglect
- Loss of income due to illness
- Anxiety and depression
- Low self-esteem-when you burn the candle on both ends you are likely to do a less-than-stellar job on all fronts.
- Frustration and anger
- Strained relationships due to lack of time, and exhaustion
These are just some serious problems that arise from a lack of self-care.
However, these consequences of neglect and lack of self-care can easily be averted. When you become more proactive and take time for self-care you will be a better healthier and happier person.
And it is true to say too, others around you will be better off for it as well.
If you are a mom, your children will have happier mothers. A happier less stressed mother is a much more effective mother.
Benefits of self-care
As we have seen above, a lack of self-care has dire consequences.
And the opposite is true as well. When you practice self-care you improve your life in many ways. You will experience
- Better mental health
- Reduce stress
- Better overall health
- Improved relationships with family and even friends. No one enjoys being around a stressed-out irritable person who is likely to be short with people and grouchy.
- Boost productivity.
- Increase sense of well-being.
- Prevent illnesses, and improve chronic health conditions.
- Increase happiness.
- Feel centered and in touch with your inner self.
- Find balance and joy in life.
So you see just how important it is to ensure that you take the time to prioritize your self-care.
But how do you make sure that you are not letting your self-care fall by the wayside?
You set aside dedicated time for self-care. So a Self-care Sunday is an ideal time to schedule your self-care.
Simple ways to prioritize Sunday self-care
The best way to make sure you don’t miss Sunday self-care is to prioritize it. And to do that, you need to block out the time you need each Sunday for self-care activities.
Consider these areas of self-care as you plan your self-care Sunday.
- Emotional and mental self-care
- Physical self-care
- Spiritual self-care
- Environmental self-care
- Financial self-care
- Social self-care
While there are other areas of self-care to consider, I find these six align themselves well and are the most important for a Sunday self-care routine.
From these self-care areas, you can pick an activity to do for a particular amount of time depending on your mood and circumstances.
You may dedicate part of the day or longer time to activities such as going on a hike, visiting with friends, going to a restaurant, or taking a drive around the city or countryside.
Or for shorter activities, simply take a few minutes to take a nap, listen to music, read a book, or take a walk in the neighborhood or any simple activity that doesn’t take long to do, but still helps you unwind.
So obviously, planning is important for activities that will take a long period, such as all day, or part of the day.
As such, you want to plan and schedule these ahead of time.
For the shorter activities, you can just go with your whim and mood at the time.
Okay, so what do you do on a self-care Sunday? Let’s take a look at how you can establish your own self-care Sunday routine.
Sunday Self-care Ideas for a happy you.
Mental and emotional self-care ideas
Improving and protecting your mental health is an essential part of Sunday self-care.
Let’s look at some activities that are ideal for Sunday self-care or any day really to promote your mental wellness.
Here are a few activities to choose from:
- Journal by writing freely or using journal prompts to reflect on various areas of your life. You may practice gratitude journaling or journaling for self-growth. Here is a list of journal prompts to choose from for ideas.
- Read a book for fun
- Do yoga
- listen to music
- Diffuse some essential oils
- call a friend
- make a playlist
- Draw or paint
- knit or crotchet
- take a nap
- sleep in
- Cuddle a child, your spouse, or a pet
- Make a vision board
- Write a bucket list
- Reminisce on good times- look at old photos full of good memories
- Go to the movies
- Watch movies on Netflix, Hulu, or any other movie-streaming apps
- Unplug-staying off the screens is a great way to recharge your mind. You see the more you are online scrolling on various platforms, the more it drains and exhausts your mind, affecting your mood. Give your mind a break by laying off the screens for a while on Sunday.
- Just have a slow lazy day at home. Have a quiet unhurried breakfast, and rest as much as you need, or play with the kids. Just take it slow on your self-care Sunday.
There are several ways to have a self-care Sunday with physical activity. And the good thing is that physical self-care also helps improve your mental health.
So what are some good Physical activities to include on your Self-care Sunday?
Here you can simply do whatever feels right for you. Some people love walks, while others prefer hikes, or simply cooking a healthy meal.
Here are some fun ideas for the Self-care Sunday routine.
- Eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Make a healthy meal
- Exercise at home, or go to the gym
- Take a walk/ hike
- Go swimming
- Take a long bath; try a bath with sweet essential oils such as lavender, or Epsom salts. Light a candle, listen to music, and just relax.
- Groom- hair care, nails care- go out and have your hair and or nails done.
- Have a spa day at home or at salon-try new face masks, and do your hair and nails.
- Have a massage
- Make a meal plan for the week or the month
Traditionally in many parts of the world, Sunday is the spiritual self-care day. And I am speaking here from a Christian point of view.
But even if you practice a different religion or spirituality, for most people Sunday is a day for resting. So what better way to reenergize your soul? Do what feels right for you here.
Sunday is a great day to connect with a higher power. But you can do this on any other day of the week too.
So let’s check out these activities for your self-care Sunday routine to energize your spirit and center you for a great week ahead.
Please of course feel free to add your own ideas. In fact, I would love to hear other ideas.
- Go to church, a mosque, a synagogue, or any place where you gather for religious purposes.
- Watch a sermon o TV
- Listen to a religious podcast
- Read your Bible or any other religious or spiritual book
- Do a Bible study with a friend or friends
- Visit a religious or spiritual site
- Watch a religious/spiritual documentary
Social Self-care Sunday Ideas for a happy life
When life gets too busy, the first thing to get neglected is relationships. Sometimes we even neglect those very dear and close to us such as our immediate families. So, friends and family, whom you don’t see every day are sort of forgotten.
You find you don’t call or visit, or invite them over. But we are meant to be social for us to thrive. When we detach from important social relationships and keep to ourselves, we shrink, and our mental health suffers.
It is therefore important for your mental health to nurture your relationships. Try some of these activities for a social Self-care Sunday.
- Visit with a friend at your home or theirs
- Have a long chat with an old friend on the phone
- Meet up with a friend or friends for brunch, lunch, or dinner at a restaurant or cafe
- Text a friend
- Have a fun video chat with a friend
- Go watch a movie with a friend
- Go on a picnic
- Have a family night. You can for example order pizza and have a game night. Make be make a tradition and have the kids take turns choosing the game they want to play.
The best Self-care Sunday ideas to Recharge your life
Environmental Sunday Selfcare
There is so much you can outdoors that really boosts your mental health, happiness, and well-being.
Here are some fun activities to choose from to enjoy your environment for Sunday self-care.
Recharge your life by enjoying the place where you live. Every place has some fun activities that you can do to have fun on Sunday. Here are some fun ideas:
- Drive to a scenic place and enjoy the view. Maybe go see the foliage’s spectacular colors in the fall. Or go out and enjoy a snow day. On spring or summer days. Take a drive to see wildflowers and beautiful green trees. Being out in nature is so cleansing for the mind.
- On a sunny day enjoy some time on your patio- maybe read a book or listen to music
- Enjoy a picnic
- Declutter and organize your spaces. Organized clean space is great for your mental health. This is your immediate environment and it should feel restful.
- Enjoy the city. Window shopping, coffee, and lunch in the city center can be lots of fun.
Yes, managing money can be an important part of your Self-care Sunday routine.
Money mismanagement leads to so much stress. So take time to ensure your financial affairs are in order. Spare a few minutes to organize your finances. By keeping within a budget and managing money well, you will be avoiding future money woes. As a Sunday self-care activity, you can:
- Meal plan-when you plan meals, and you avoid the risk of buying things on a whim or eating out because you can’t think of a thing to cook. You also avoid waste. All these help you save money. And that means you avoid money stress from overspending.
- Pay your bills
- Look for ways to save money
- Cut coupons, or find discount codes
- Review your expenditure and bills. I know this doesn’t sound like fun. And it isn’t. But being clear on how you are doing financially will help you plan.
- By planning, you can avoid future stress and problems. So it is indeed self-care and an essential part of your Sunday self-care for a happier life.
And there you have it.
Those are some fun and relaxing Self-care Sunday ideas to recharge your life. Use a self-care Sunday routine to will reset your mind and improve your wellness for the weak and beyond.
Simple Sunday self-care is something we all need to rest from our busy and hurried modern lives.
I hope you will practice more Sunday self-care because as we all know self-care is really a gift you give yourself and that gives back.
Let me know in the comments how you practice self-care on Sunday. And what other activities would you add to this list?
Thank you for reading. You rock!
The best morning routine for anxiety and productivity
18 Simple self-care ideas for Moms
Nighttime self-care routine to calm anxiety at night